Thursday, September 21, 2006

The "Scenic" Route

Imagine the following . . . I got up at 7 a.m. on Tuesday, September 19th. Dad and I left for the airport at 1 p.m., after consuming the yummiest pho ever. Dad drops me off in front of Alaska Airlines to check-in for my 3:50 flight to Los Angeles (and yes, Í had looked at my e-ticket a million times to make sure I had the date right!). My bags are checked through to London-Heathrow, which is a bonus because I thought I'd have to retrieve them in LA to check them onto British Airways. I made a few phone calls and browsed the new shops at Seatac.

The flight was uneventful and once at LAX, I made my way to the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). I checked in with British and had about three hours until my 9:20 p.m. flight. TBIT needs an overhaul ASAP. B-o-r-i-n-g. No shops and terrible restaurants. I read my magazines until it was time to go to the gate. NOTE: I was carrying a purse and a backpack and this fact will be important later. At the gate, an announcement was made that effective September 20th (the date our flight landed in the UK), passengers are only allowed one carry-on if they are transferring at Heathrow. My freak-out was short-lived when it was determined that because I must pick up my bags and tranfer to London-Gatwick, I am allowed two carry-ons. Whew.

Long flight from LA to London (I waved Hi! to Seattle as we flew back over). I couldn't stay awake and finally fell asleep after midnight and slept for three hours - a record for me! I watched Twisted with Ashley Judd, Andy Garcia and Samuel L. Jackson and then most of Half Light with Demi Moore before descending (now I need to rent it to find out the ending!) The plane landed at 3:30 p.m. (7:30 a.m. PST) and I had time-warped since it was now the 20th. After much standing around, I claimed my bags and found the National Express kiosk to catch the bus to London-Gatwick for my 8:10 p.m. flight to Toulouse. The bus departed at 5 p.m., just in time to hit evening traffic. Perfect. What should have been an hour trip stretched into almost two hours :( Thank goodness for plenty of time between flights!

As I checked my bags, the agent informed me that I could only take one carry-on. I sacrificed my purse, since there were breakables in the backpack. Time wasn't an issue until I got around the corner and saw the lines - the lines! - to go through security. Omigod. While in line, the security employees made the rounds, collecting forbidden objects: gels, lotions, lipsticks, lighters, etc. I say goodbye to an only-used-once lipstick and homemade lip balm that I forgot to place in my suitcase. I'm nearing the front of the line when I'm informed that my backpack is too big and if it doesn't fit in the smallest-slot-ever to measure a carry-on, then it must be checked. I stomped back to British Airways and the agent rolled his eyes when I told him and he went to find a plastic bag for me. I pulled out the breakables, loaded them into the plastic bag (think dry cleaning garment bag size) and head back to security. More waiting ensued and I finally cleared security to find the gate, where I arrived at 7:45 p.m. SECOND NOTE: I tossed my lip products for nothing.

The flight was delayed and didn't take off until 8:30. Halfway through, I looked at my watch and I had officially been travelling for 24 hours. The plane landed in Toulouse shortly after 11 p.m. (France is one hour ahead of the UK) and clutching my plastic carry-on, I cleared customs and found Pascal to collect my FOUR checked bags. Geesh. We got on the road at 11:30 and pulled into the driveway at 1:15 a.m. on September 21st. With the exception of the three hour "nap", I had been awake for 33 hours and 15 minutes. Falling into bed at 1:30, exhausted, I still took two Unisom and was guaranteed ten glorious hours of sleep :) I woke up feeling like a million bucks!

White Kitty must've sensed my presence, because he invited himself in and couldn't decide if he wanted to nap in my suitcase or on the bed. He chose the latter, picking up a luggage claim ticket (strategically placed, no?) before settling into the plastic garbage sacks that had protected my clothes. I'm still waiting for Raoul to turn up . . .



No comments: