Last Tuesday, we loaded up the car (seriously, travelling with a toddler? Requires so.much.stuff!) and headed northeast to the Haute Loire region. Pascal had some appointments and we decided to throw in some family time, given Maurice's recent diagnosis of lung cancer (heavy smoker for years). He hasn't started treatment yet so we took advantage of his health (as it is) and visited some extended family that cannot travel to see him.
We aimed to leave at 10, knowing that we would stop once for lunch and a second time for Sophie in the 5 1/2 hour drive. We actually got on the freeway at 11:30, after making several stops to wrap up some loose ends. I had suggested lunch at Ikea in Toulouse (1. fast and easy, 2. inexpensive and 3. I could finally pick up three frames for the wall in Sophie's room!) and we still went with that plan, despite arriving around 1.
Sophie enjoyed her first Swedish meatballs (shared with Pascal) and I had a tasty vegetarian wrap that I don't remember from the last time we ate there.
Pascal and Maurice took Sophie back downstairs (the restaurant, kid section, and displays are all upstairs and the shopping is downstairs) while I ran off to do my shopping. Despite it being mid-week and mid-day, it was A ZOO. I looked for these great microfiber dishcloths that I picked up last time (sadly, gone. Note to self: always buy that kind of stuff when I see it.)
I did find the frames (I needed three and there were only five - whew!) and a few other "necessities". Such is the power of Ikea.
We continued on and thank goodness for the 1€ mouse pads and 2€ tubmat I purchased because those are what kept Sophie entertained!
We finally arrived at our destination and were greeted by Edith, Denis and their Sophie-sized Yorkie, Titi.
Meeting the four little pigs:
On Wednesday, we drove an hour to a city called Ceyrat, where Pascal's great-uncle lives. Jean Anglade is a well-known author in France and has published many, many novels. At the age of 95, he still lives alone and is working on yet another book. ON HIS TYPEWRITER.
Tonton Jean, Sophie, Pascal and Maurice:
On Thursday, we visited with Jeanne (Denis' mom), who lives in the original house on the dairy farm.
Maurice, Sophie (who was crying to go outside) and Jeanne:
Friday morning, we took off bright and early at 8 because Pascal had a business lunch date and Sophie's patience for dining out is somewhat limited so we were not invited. We got dropped off at a Fred Meyer-like store, where we looked around a bit before having lunch in the cafeteria. Sophie took a post-lunch nap in her stroller as I wheeled her around the store again and Pascal finally rescued us a few hours later to continue on to Toulon to see his godmother.
We drove into a torrential rain storm which delayed us a little bit (cars had pulled over on the freeway because the visibility was terrible but not Pascal! No, he kept going!) but we arrived safe and sound. We picked up Chinese food for dinner and when Sophie started melting down, we went to the hotel.
The next morning, we went back to Marraine's to visit and eat lunch together before hitting the road back to Orincles.
Some of Marraine's grapes (with one of her amazing olive trees on the left):
No comments:
Post a Comment