Last night, Pascal tracked down his godmother Marthe in a hospital near her home (about five hours east of us).
Marthe is sweet but she is . . . special.
Pascal tried to call her Wednesday night. No answer. He tried again yesterday. No answer. He doesn't know her neighbor's name nor does he know the name of her primary care physician. She had been in the hospital a few months ago so I told him to look at the names to see if one rang a bell. He called the one that sounded familiar and lo, she was there, and had been since Monday.
Her response to his call: "Well, I can't hide, can I?"
Um. OKAY.
Marthe is not married nor does she have children. She is estranged from her sisters and has another godchild, but does not speak to her and she also happens to be State-side. She has a housekeeper that comes every few days, but other than that, Pascal is the closest "relative". (They actually are related - Marthe is a distant I-don't-know-how cousin of P's mom.)
The thing is, Marthe NEVER calls Pascal. She never called Maurice either. Maurice called her almost daily and Pascal calls her weekly. So, I guess it's no surprise that she didn't call but hello? SHE IS IN THE HOSPITAL. She is not dying but what if she was?
Living alone, Marthe is paranoid about theft. She has at least five locks and deadbolts on her front door. She was robbed once so her concerns are legitimate. HOWEVER. She thinks everyone is out to get her. She is very, very distrustful.
I asked Pascal last night, Who can make medical decisions for her if she becomes incapacitated? Who knows where the important papers are? Who has an extra set of keys to the house? Where does she want to be buried?
Pascal doesn't know. I know this stuff is hard to talk about, but I told him that he at least needs to try with Marthe. She told him to call back today.
Friday, March 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I have no advice but that is a very sad legacy... or lack of one. If she doesn't care about those things how can anyone else? Sounds like a former "special" friend of mine that shall remain nameless.
That sounds like my Great Grandma and so I would say that you need to have him try and ask but if she is not willing to share then you need to have a clear conscience and know that it is all her decision. even the not telling any one. At least that is my thought about it! Good luck with it!
Post a Comment