For some reason, it took about 10 days to truly get over the jet lag. As a baby, Thomas definitely had the easiest time. Our days started at 2, 3, 3:30, 4, 5 am until I suddenly found that we were "sleeping in" until 7. It was heavenly.
I signed Sophie up for swim lessons and discovered that she is not sure of the pool. Because it's so big. Class started on Tuesday because of the 4th of July holiday. She sat on the side of the pool. She spent
Wednesday on the side of the pool as well. I asked her teacher what to do to get her in the pool on Thursday. On Thursday, I dropped her in with not only the promise of a trip to Baskin Robbins, but the promise of a new Barbie. She cried and clawed her way out of the pool. Melissa suggested that I get in the water with her. Uh, OK. Sophie spent the rest of the lesson on the side of the pool and we went to Fred Meyer after class so I could get a swimsuit. On Friday, she refused to walk down the stairs with me so I carried her - crying, of course - into the pool. She continued to cry and finally calmed down and let go of me. At the end of the lesson, she said: "I don't want to get out!" Me: "Yeah, whatever."
I signed her up for the following week, resigning myself to being in the water for at least part of the week. Class went well on Monday and she seemed a little more comfortable. It went even better on Tuesday and I truly felt like she was ready to learn alone. So on Wednesday, I promised ice cream at the end of the lesson and plopped her in the pool. Where she cried. And clawed her way out AGAIN.
I was so frustrated that I just took her and stomped off to the locker room, changed her and asked for class credit at the front desk to be used for family swim time. Which we clearly needed!
Pascal and I have each taken her a number of times since then. My hope is that by visiting the pool at least three times a week, she'll get comfortable while practicing the skills that were introduced in class.
Her minimal pool exposure was not enough and we will not be making the same mistake with Thomas!!! As soon as he is old enough, I'll sign up for a Mommy and Me class or we'll do family swim together.
Other than that, Pascal started working at Toyota of Lake City and the kids and I are spending time with family and friends!
I have over a month's worth of photos to sift through and I am very, very afraid . . . I hope to get pics up soon!
Wednesday on the side of the pool as well. I asked her teacher what to do to get her in the pool on Thursday. On Thursday, I dropped her in with not only the promise of a trip to Baskin Robbins, but the promise of a new Barbie. She cried and clawed her way out of the pool. Melissa suggested that I get in the water with her. Uh, OK. Sophie spent the rest of the lesson on the side of the pool and we went to Fred Meyer after class so I could get a swimsuit. On Friday, she refused to walk down the stairs with me so I carried her - crying, of course - into the pool. She continued to cry and finally calmed down and let go of me. At the end of the lesson, she said: "I don't want to get out!" Me: "Yeah, whatever."
I signed her up for the following week, resigning myself to being in the water for at least part of the week. Class went well on Monday and she seemed a little more comfortable. It went even better on Tuesday and I truly felt like she was ready to learn alone. So on Wednesday, I promised ice cream at the end of the lesson and plopped her in the pool. Where she cried. And clawed her way out AGAIN.
I was so frustrated that I just took her and stomped off to the locker room, changed her and asked for class credit at the front desk to be used for family swim time. Which we clearly needed!
Pascal and I have each taken her a number of times since then. My hope is that by visiting the pool at least three times a week, she'll get comfortable while practicing the skills that were introduced in class.
Her minimal pool exposure was not enough and we will not be making the same mistake with Thomas!!! As soon as he is old enough, I'll sign up for a Mommy and Me class or we'll do family swim together.
Other than that, Pascal started working at Toyota of Lake City and the kids and I are spending time with family and friends!
I have over a month's worth of photos to sift through and I am very, very afraid . . . I hope to get pics up soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment