Our nine hour flight departed Seattle at 6:30 pm, meaning that we would arrive in London at 3:30 am (11:30 am local time). Typically, the meal is served after take-off and then most passengers try to get some rest.
I knew Sophie would have no problem sleeping so I was determined to get some sleep as well, because the idea of staggering around Heathrow for almost six hours on zero sleep made my head hurt.
Sophie proved herself to be a traveling superstar again and took a while to fall asleep around 10, lying down in her seat with her legs on my lap. Unfortunately, she started rolling and thrashing, which doesn't work well on an airplane.
She ended up in my arms. Which meant that I could not sleep. Oh, I dozed, probably getting 20 minutes of actual sleep, but NOTHING like I really needed to survive the upcoming layover.
Despite not sleeping, the flight passed quickly thanks to an audio book and a movie that I can't remember.
We disembarked, cleared security and the longest six hours of my life began.
Imagine if you will:
I was wearing a stuffed-to-the-gills backpack. I was pulling a 20" rolling carry on. I was chasing/carrying a 24 pound toddler, who had a pacifier in her mouth (waiting to get lost!) and her precious blankie in her hand (also waiting to get lost!). Oh, and I wore high heel boots that gave me a terrible blister en route to Seattle. These boots are NOT meant for traipsing around an airport for six hours. TRUST ME, the preventative band aid did NOTHING.
I only had the energy to visit one shop, Harrods, where I did find an ornament as well as a sassy red purse in the clearance section. BECAUSE I NEEDED TO ADD MORE TO MY CARRY ONS!!!
My feet were killing me of course so we found some food, ate and then Sophie fell asleep in my arms. I wanted to fall asleep too but I was afraid I would wake up and find my carry ons gone.
We spent a lot of time riding the magic stairs (escalators!).
We spent a lot of time changing diapers.
We spent a lot of time waiting. Waiting. Waiting.
And then it was finally time to board the plane. Our seatmate had flown 22 hours (9 hours from Sydney to Singapore, then 13 hours from Singapore to London) and had missed the 6:30 am flight to Toulouse because she landed at 6 in another terminal. SHE HAD BEEN WAITING FOR ALMOST 12 HOURS.
I honestly don't know which was worst, an almost six hour layover with a toddler and not enough sleep or an almost 12 hour layover after 22 hours of traveling alone.
Sophie and I both slept for most of the short flight to Toulouse and I was so happy to see Pascal: someone else to carry Sophie.
Unfortunately, we didn't get out quickly because the car seat did not show up. You know, the car seat needed to safely transport Sophie for the 1 1/2 hour drive?
After checking various luggage carousels, I had to call for help and despite my fatigue, I managed to be coherent. He filed a claim and thank goodness had a loaner car seat that appeared relatively new and wasn't crusty with other kids' dried snacks. THANK YOU, NICE MAN.
The airline will deliver the car seat as soon as it arrives (he couldn't tell me if it was still in Seattle or hung up in London) and take theirs back. And the travel saga will be OVER and I can bumble around in a jet lagged fog and finally decorate the Christmas tree . . .
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The horror of layovers and international travel, that sounds perfectly awful. Glad your home safe and recovering.
Post a Comment