Now that summer is here, so is the sun. FINALLY. I was putting on my Clarins Bright Plus SPF 20 this morning and oh! it smells just like Sea & Ski. I still remember their trademark green bottle. Coppertone smells good but Sea & Ski . . . I hope someone revives the brand.
***
It has been a rainy June. We're on our third day of sun but I think it's too late for my sugar pumpkin seeds. It was just too wet for too long and when the sun came out, the dry earth formed a crust that I don't think those wee sprouts will be able to penetrate.
However! Our tomatoes are thriving:
And we found two rogue pumpkin plants leftover from last year (funnily, not even close to wear the original plants were, but the plants did grow that far):
We will be eating a lot of potatoes this winter:
***
On Saturday, Orincles hosted its first rummage sale in a looong time. Pascal doesn't even remember when the last one was. The way it works in this area: there are not garage sales, but each village/community organizes a sale in their covered community space. This is good and bad. Good because everyone is together so more people will come but bad because you have to pack up the car, unload, setup, sit down there all day, pack up, and reload the car.
We were organized! We pulled out lots of treasures, priced each one (most people don't price so you have to ask), and the baby clothes (lots of them!) were well organized by size.
But then it rained.
And there was very little traffic.
Sophie and I went down twice to visit and I was horrified at the amount of stuff we had to bring back home. At the end of the day (after the table rental fee of 8€, which did include lunch, and after purchasing a few toys for Sophie), we netted . . .
27€.
DEPRESSING.
We can join another village's sale, but that means hauling the stuff even further, and Pascal spends a whole day there, and for 27€ again? I don't think so. So, onward and upward.
That night, there was a village-wide meal to celebrate the Feast of St. Jean (we didn't go because it's too late with a toddler) and at 10 pm, there was a bonfire. Afterward, the village teens went around and gathered any items that were not nailed down and left them in front of the church.
Our gate was closed so our garbage can was safe but Pascal forgot to close the living room shutters. He realized the next morning and took the camera when he went to retrieve them.
Nothing was off-limits: patio furniture, wagon wheels
Chicken wire fencing, umbrellas, and hey! that's one of our white shutters leaning against the church.
Garbage cans, more patio furniture, and hey! our other shutter (the rounded one).
They even nicked signs, as seen in front of the bushes.
Ah, village life. Gotta love it.
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment