Monday, June 28, 2010

Vide Grenier

Vider:  to empty.  Grenier:  attic.  Vide grenier:  literally, empty attic i.e. rummage sale!  I had Pascal drop me off at a neighboring village's vide grenier yesterday while he and Sophie went to get bread.  (As we pulled up, Pascal did say we could've joined theirs.  I gave him the stink-eye.)

I stumbled across the following shoes for Sophie rather quickly and asked the seller how much she was asking.














Barely worn:














This brand, Kickers, makes extremely sturdy and adorable - but pricey! usually 50-100€/pair - leather shoes for kids and adults.  In fact, I bought a pair of Kickers boots for Sophie at another rummage sale for 5€, which I thought was a great deal.

So, when the seller told me 50 cents, I questionably repeated 50 cents back to her, and she said yes, 50 cents!  I said, are you sure?  Fifty cents?  And she laughed and said, it's a vide grenier.  So I gave her 50 cents per shoe since I had a euro coin but not a 50 cent piece.  I would have easily paid 5€ for them, as they are in excellent used condition . . . so yay!  They are too big of course but Sophie tried them on when we got home and stumbled around in them :)
  
***
Spotted in the garden this weekend: 














Yes, baby kiwis!

***
And last but not least, help me out here.  While searching the cupboards for rummage sale items, I found this "treasure".  It does have a burn hole in it so it didn't make it into the pile.  Pascal pointed out to me that it is the only tablecloth that will fit the dining room table once both extensions are pulled out.  (However, I do believe that I have another - one that doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out!)

I assured Pascal that I don't care how many people will be around the table that I will never ever use this brown, yellow, and orange set.  And!  There are *only* 11 napkins.  Where did the 12th one go??? 














A close-up of the lovely pattern:














So . . . donate or keep?

1 comment:

Judie said...

Hey, don't those go really well with certain brown pottery dishes that someone you know just loves?? Hmmm...